Saturday, May 12, 2012

Satyamev Jayate:A show that will bring about change

Last weekend, I totally forgot that there would be a television series, Satyamev Jayate, on social concerns, anchored by Aamir Khan. I received a lot of messages from my friends who had watched the show and they were full of praise about the show. And I don’t know how it slipped my mind and I had completely missed the first episode.

All through the week I kept hearing people talk about it, so I visited the site http://www.satyamevjayate.in./ and I finally got the chance to watch the whole episode.

I loved Aamir Khan's introduction for the show, very-very well said and captured. Also, the beautifully composed song, O Ri Chiraiya, written and sung by Swanand Kirkire was very touching.

(There is something about Aamir Khan though. He does lesser films but his films have a message and usually not the preachy kind. And almost all of his films are popular. Now that he has started these series, he is doing one hell of a job of this too!)

It is high time we had this kind of a show in India. It reminded me of Oprah Winfrey show of which I am a huge fan. I used to wonder why we do not have an Oprah in India too.

This episode was about female foeticide. We all know that it exists in our society because we read it in the newspapers. We are shocked and alarmed about it, but we forget about it and go on with our regular lives. We feel we can’t do much about it, after all the mindset of people can’t be changed overnight.

But that is not completely true. Aamir Kan mentioned in his introductory opening lines, we are after all a part of this society, even through these issues may not affect us directly but we are connected to it, each one of us. And if we want to bring about a change or reach these alarming issues to everyone, someone has to do something about it.

And I think the best way of taking up these causes is through a known personality that the whole India recognizes. Eminent personalities such as Aamir Khan can really bring about this change.

I am hooked on to this show and can’t wait for 11am tomorrow.

No comments: