Saturday, March 31, 2012

Paan Singh Tomar, the film

I watched this film last weekend, and I can say that it was one of the best movies that I have seen in recent times!

The protagonist, Irrfan, who played Paan Singh Tomar was absolutely brilliant, and so was Mahi Gill who played his wife's role. The depths in the characters were brought about very well because of the excellent direction by Tigmanshu Dhulia, and brilliant performances by the cast, especially, Irrfan.
Paan Singh Tomar's life in a village, his army life, his relationship with his coach, his loyalty towards the army, his sadness and pain in not being sent to fight in the war, Paan Singh's sweet and loving relationship with his wife, his children, devotion and respect for his mother; all this came through so well in the film!
I did not get bored for a minute. There were no item songs , there was no skin show, yet I think almost everyone who went to watch the film  got mesmerized in it. It said a true story, and said it so well. I hope "Paan Singh Tomar" gets selected for International film festivals. This film certainly deserves recognition.
I like the strong message that the film sent. How do we treat our champions?  Champions who won us medals, who made us proud...
Do we ever think about what happened to them?

Here is a link on Paan Singh Tomar the National steeplechase champion.

No comments: